After Game 3 of this 4 game series, against a very good San Diego Padres team (their record not withstanding), I have been scouring the blogosphere to read about poor Dodger game management and poor game planning for this game. After all, it wasn’t a shutout. Lance Lynn gave up another HR and was pulled after only 6.0 innings. Ryan Brasier gave up a dinger as well. And how dare they with the audacity of bringing Yency Almonte back in after Saturday’s debacle.
Austin Barnes and Miguel Rojas in the starting lineup? How can they possibly win? Well we know how Scott felt about it…
”Loser lineup tonight behind Lynn, Barnes and Rojas back to back yet again. Gotta put the worst hitters in the lineup. Should be another L. Hope not.” Well at least he added the “hope not”,
but it is clear he did not think the Dodgers were going to win it. Final Score 8-2 Dodgers. I guess they can win with Rojas and Barnes in the lineup.
The Dodgers win as a team and they lose as a team. It is not due to one player or one pitcher: victory or loss. With all of their injuries, the Dodgers are in 1st place in the NL West, leading San Francisco by 4 games. Remember when some were saying, big deal about the Dodgers sweeping Oakland? Well, Oakland just swept San Francisco in a 2 game series.
Arizona has fallen off the cliff and are now 8.5 games behind LAD, and 1.5 games behind in the Wild Card race.
The Dodgers have the 2nd best record in the NL and are 6.5 games behind Atlanta for the best record in the NL They have the 4th best run differential in MLB.
The Dodger trade deadline acquisitions had another good game. Lance Lynn completed 6.0 innings, and had his 2nd quality start, giving up only 1 run.. If they do not hit solo HRs against him, they are not scoring. Kiké Hernández had a 3-hit game with 2 doubles, and Amed Rosario had a 2-run oppo HR off a lefty (Rich Hill).
With a RHP on the mound, Roberts sent up David Peralta to PH for Amed Rosario. And while it did not produce a run with that AB, it sure played out defensively when Kiké moved to 2B and made a fantastic play on a ground ball and throwing a strike to Freddie across his body. Peralta later singled and ended up 1-2.
Not everything was great. 6 of the 8 runs were a direct result of a HR, and the team was 2-12 WRISP. San Diego was 0-6.
So, for this game, Dave Roberts seemed to make the right calls. I guess he gets the credit for all of the good in this one, just like he gets all the blame when the team loses.
- Mookie Betts and Freddie Freeman are special. Both homered in Game 3. Mookie 1st LAD to hit 30 HRs in 2023.
- Somehow some way, the Dodgers beat a team with both Miggy Rojas and Austin Barnes in the lineup.
- AF/BG’s trade deadline deals have performed extraordinarily well since their trades. That is especially true for Kiké and Amed, although Lance Lynn has certainly mitigated concerns for starters going deeper into games.
- Kiké as a LAD – 35 PA – .333/.343/.485/.828 – 5 doubles, 6 RBI
- Amed as a LAD – 28 PA – .296/.321/.593/.914 – 2 doubles, 2 HR, 9 RBI
- Lance Lynn – 13.0 IP, 2.77 ERA, 0.92 WHIP, .191 BAA, 13 K, 3 BB, 4 HR
- The Angels tried to make a run for it this year, but they seem to have fallen out of it at this point.
- Cincinnati is still in the hunt, but they have lost a chance at putting some distance between them and the others.
- Cubs have put themselves in position for a long WC run.
- NYM have seemed to quit on the season.
- San Diego still looks to be too good not to sneak into the Wild Card slot.
- NYY and Boston will not both make the playoffs. Will one of them? Will neither of them?
Tony Gonsolin gets another chance to show if he has turned the corner in 2023 in Monday’s matinee finale. This will be the final regular season game the Dodgers face San Diego in San Diego. The Catman will be matched against RHP Seth Lugo. Lugo has 11 games (1 game started) against LAD, 16.2 IP, with a 3.24 ERA, and a 1.020 WHIP.
08-06-2023 – MiLB Game Summary Report
OKC Dodgers 17 – Round Rock Express (Texas) 7
Ryan Pepiot stretched it out to 4.0 IP and 80 pitches. He pitched very well for 3.0 innings but allowed 2 runs in the 4th on 3 hits.
Matt Andriese allowed 4 runs in his 1.0 IP. 4 other OKC pitchers pitched 1.0 inning each.
The offense did the damage. 17 runs on 22 hits. Every OKC batter had at least 1 hit, while 6 of the 9 had 3 hits.
- Michael Busch – 3-6, 2 runs, 1 RBI
- Miguel Vargas – 2-5, 1 BB, 1 run, 2 RBI
- Pat Valaika – 3-6, 2 runs, 4 RBI, double (7)
- David Dahl – 3-6, 2 runs, 3 RBI
- Hunter Feduccia – 3-4, 2 BB, 3 runs, 1 RBI
- Bryson Brigman – 3-6, 1 run, 1 RBI, double (9)
- Steven Duggar – 3-4, Sac Fly, 2 runs, 3 RBI
- Ryan Ward – 1-5, 3 runs, double (24)
Here's a look at the night of Ryan Pepiot. Heavy ball, catch play, flat work, long toss, pen, bump. Pepiot stretched to 4 innings, gave up 2 & had 3 Ks. He touched 96.4 on the 4 Seam, 2476 on the spin, changeup had 36 inches of vert & slider had 49. Change had 35% whiff! #dodgers pic.twitter.com/qqrkCjfLZw
— Dodgers Daily (@dodger_daily) August 7, 2023
Ryan Pepiot's line tonight:
80 P / 50 S pic.twitter.com/zvfUI2C3Gg
— Bruce Kuntz (@Bnicklaus7) August 7, 2023
Wichita Wind Surge (Minnesota) 10 – Tulsa Drillers 9
Starter Ben Casparius was given a 4-0 and 5-1 lead but he could not keep the Drillers in front. Tulsa got 3 more in the 3rd to take an 8-6 lead. Unfortunately Aldry Acosta and Antonio Knowles gave up a pair of runs each, enough to give the Drillers the loss.
- Austin Gauthier – 2-5, 1 run
- Jorbit Vivas – 1-3, 1 BB, 1 run, 1 RBI, double (21)
- Yusniel Diaz – 2-5, 1 run, 2 RBI
- Diego Cartaya – 1-5, 1 run, 2 RBI, HR (15)
- Carson Taylor – 1-4, 1 BB, 1 run, 3 RBI
Great Lakes Loons 13 – Fort Wayne TinCaps (San Diego) 3
Juan Morillo was the Great Lakes opener and Jerming Rosario followed. Morillo gave up 2 runs (1 earned) in 1.0 IP. Rosario pitched 4.0 innings and gave up a single run on a solo HR. Four relievers pitched a scoreless inning apiece to complete the rout.
- Yeiner Fernandez – 3-4, 2 BB, 2 runs, 1 RBI
- Nick Biddison – 2-3, 2 BB, 1 HBP, 1 run, 2 RBI, double (1)
- Griffin Lockwood-Powell – 2-4, 1 BB, 3 RBI, double (15)
- Chris Alleyne – 2-5, 1 BB, 2 runs, 1 RBI
- Jake Vogel – 3-5, 2 runs, 1 RBI, HR (2)
Rancho Cucamonga Quakes 7 – Fresno Grizzlies (Colorado) 2
Chris Campos started and completed 4.0 scoreless innings. 1 hit, 1 BB, 6 K, 51 pitches (37 strikes). Five relievers pitched one inning each to complete the game.
Wilman Diaz was the offensive star with a 3 hit night including 2 HRs.
- Wilman Diaz – 3-5, 2 runs, 2 RBI, 2 HR (5)
- Josue De Paula – 1-3, 2 BB, 2 runs
- Jake Gelof – 2-5, 2 runs, 1 RBI, triple (1)
- Joe Vetrano – 2-4, 1 BB, 1 run, 1 RBI, double (2)
- Luis Rodriguez – 3-4, 2 RBI, double (9)
— Bruce Kuntz (@Bnicklaus7) August 7, 2023